MANDATE OF POLICE INSPECTORATE DEPARTMENT
1. Serving as Secretariat of Police Public Complaint Committee.
2. Monitoring the Performance of Personnel of the Nigeria Police Force in the discharge of their duties in accordance with the statutes and extant regulation of Government.
3. Receipt, investigation and making appropriate recommendations on complaints of the public on Nigeria Police Force and its personnel.
4. Design and in concert with the Nigeria Police Force implement strategies for enhancing the image and performance of the Nigeria Police Force.
5. Liaison with the Police Service Commission on matters affecting personnel of the Nigeria Police Force.
6. Provision of inputs into the periodic review of Police welfare matters
7. Monitoring and reporting on the State of equipment, accommodation and training needs of the Nigeria Police Force in order to ensure their adequacy.
8. Police weekly briefing, recording and processing of general Police statistics on crime and other matters.
9. Preparation of periodic and annual reports on the activities of Police Inspectorate Department.
10. Design and implementation of programmes to inculcate the virtue of anti-corruption, ethics, probity and transparency in the affairs of the Nigeria Police Force.
11. Review and implementation of policies on Community Policing.
12. Handling Police Community Relations matters.
13. Handling matters on training of the Nigeria Police Force.
14. Inspection of Police Training Institutions.
15. Periodic review of the curricular of Police Training Institutions.
16. Monitoring of the training programmes of the Nigeria Police Force local and abroad.
17. Provide technical and logical assistance and support to the Nigeria Police Force.
18. Handling matters relating to Police Children Schools and Colleges.
· Police Performance Monitoring.
· Police Performance Monitoring.
· Police Community Relations.
· Training and Training Institutions.
UPDATES ON ACTIVITIES OF POLICE INSPECTORATE D0EPARTMENT IN THE SECOND QUARTER OF 2012
As part of the oversight functions of Police Inspectorate Department and in continuation of its statutory responsibilities, the Department in second quarter of 2012 carried out the following activities:
i. INAUGURATION OF NEW EXECUTIVE OF PCRC, FCT COMMAND Represented the Honourable Minister at the official inauguration of the new Executive Committee of Police Community Relations Committee (PCRC), FCT Command.
ii. HONOURABLE MINISTER'S MEETING WITH AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL
The Department coordinated the Honourable Minister's meeting with the official of Amnesty International, United Kingdom on policing in Nigeria, especially the on-going reform of the Nigeria Police agenda and the human rights situation in the Country.
iii. MEETING WITH NEW ACP COMMUNITY POLICING UNIT
The Department held maiden meeting with the new Assistant Commissioner of Police, Community Policing Unit Force Headquarters, the Nigeria Police.
iv. APPEALS, PETITIONS AND COMPLAINTS
Received and processed 21 petitions and appeals from both the public and serving Police Officers. These were referred to appropriate authorities including Office of the Inspector General of Police and Chairman, Police Service Commission
v. MONITORING OF GUBERNATORIAL ELECTIONS HELD IN BAYELSA, SOKOTO, CROSS RIVER, KEBBI AND EDO STATES
Monitored the conduct and performance of the Police Personnel during the Gubernatorial Elections in Bayelsa, Sokoto, Cross River, Kebbi and Edo States respectively.